Remnant 2: The Awakened King: How to unlock the new Ritualist archetype
Remnant 2: The Awakened King is the first of several planned DLCs for Gunfire Games’ exciting multiplayer action-shooter. This initial add-on sends you to a coastal area in the region of Losomn where familiar faces, unimaginable threats, and hidden secrets await.
One particular secret is a new unlockable archetype (or class) known as the Ritualist, which relies heavily on status effects and afflictions.
Our guide tackles how to unlock the Ritualist archetype in Remnant 2: The Awakened King, and where to obtain the archetype’s unique Zealot Armor Set. And if you’re just starting your journey through Remnant 2, check out our guide to unlocking the dual-class system and other archetypes from the base game.
How to unlock the Ritualist archetype
To unlock the Ritualist archetype in Remnant 2: The Awakened King, you need to obtain an item known as the Ragged Poppet. This can be found in the dockyard area of the Forlorn Coast.
Here’s a quick summary on how you can unlock the Ritualist class:
- Upon starting your Remnant 2: The Awakened King run, you’ll arrive at the Forlorn Coast, a cliffside village filled with Dran enemies.
- The goal is to continue onward until you reach the dockyard, where you’ll find several boats separated by pontoons.
- You’ll notice that some of the boats loop around, leading to a pathway below the wooden structures.
- Following the path requires jumping across the gaps by sprinting and hitting the Dodge key just as you’re about to reach the edge. Just watch out—rolling or falling off the boats causes your character to perish beneath the waves.
As you loop around the wooden structures, you’ll spot a well-hidden cave. Inside, you’ll find a handful of enemies. Take them out and pick up the Ragged Poppet item.
You can then return to Ward 13 and talk to Wallace. You’ll be able to exchange the Ragged Poppet and five Lumenite Crystals to receive the Cursed Effigy. This Engram can be equipped to unlock Remnant 2: The Awakened King’s Ritualist archetype. You may also select the Ritualist as your starting class, if you want to make a new character.
Ritualist class abilities and perks
If the Ritualist is selected as your main class, then its Prime Perk will remain active:
- Prime Perk: Vile - Negative status effects applied by the Ritualist cause the Infected debuff. Targets suffering from Infected receive more damage from status effects. On death, this affliction also spreads to nearby enemies within five meters.
The Ritualist class makes use of status effects, as evidenced by its skills:
- Skill #1: Eruption - Creates an explosion that deals area-of-effect (AoE) damage within 15 meters. The explosion’s radius and damage are increased depending on the number of negative status effects that affect the target. The ability also refreshes the status effects that are currently afflicting your target.
- Skill #2: Miasma - Casts an AoE burst that applies Bleeding, Burning, Overloaded, and Corroded to all enemies within 15 meters, while also dealing base damage. Lasts 20 seconds.
- Skill #3: Deathwish - Prevents all healing done to yourself, while also draining 300% of your health over 20 seconds. During this time, you do 35% increased damage, and 10% of the base damage dealt is counted as lifesteal (i.e. you’ll heal for 10% of the damage you inflict on opponents).
The Ritualist also has access to new perks that emphasize the use of more status effects. The effectiveness of these buffs increase as you level up the archetype:
- Damage Perk: Wrath - Increases all damage and critical hit chance against enemies affected by a negative status effect.
- Team Perk: Terrify - Killing an entity applies the Terrified status effect to nearby hostiles for 20 seconds. Terrified enemies deal 5% less damage and are more likely to drop additional ammo on death.
- Utility Perk: Dark Blood - Reduces damage received from negative status effects by 25%, as well as Blight build up.
- Relic Perk: Purge - Cleanses all negative status effects when you use your Relic. All negative status effects that are cleansed are also applied to nearby foes.
Lastly, there’s the unique Archetype Trait, which is active as long as the Ritualist is selected as your main class. At level 10, the trait can be equipped even if you switch to another main class:
- Archetype Trait: Affliction - Increases the duration of status effects against enemies.
Once you've unlocked Remnant 2: The Awakened King’s Ritualist class, you can use perks and skills that rely on afflictions and negative status effects. That means stacking debuffs on your foes to further increase your damage output.
Certain mods can help in this regard. Examples include Hotshot and Voltaic Rondure, which apply the Burning and Overloaded debuffs, respectively. You can also use throwable items, such as grenades purchased from Reggie in Ward 13.
The third skill that you can unlock, Deathwish, poses a risk since you won’t be able to heal while it’s active—except by doing damage to enemies. We suggest bringing a teammate along or choosing the Handler as your main class. You might also want a companion that can revive your character in case of accidental deaths.
How to get the Ritualist’s Zealot Armor Set
Even if you unlock Remnant 2: The Awakened King’s Ritualist class, you won’t automatically obtain the Zealot Armor Set. Instead, you’ll need to acquire it while exploring another area of the Forlorn Coast. It can be found in the lone tower outside the Palace of the One True King’s yards. Here’s a quick summary:
- Continue exploring the Forlorn Coast zone until you reach the Palace of the One True King.
- Climb up the spiral staircase and, when you see a small chamber with a couple of Fae Archers, drop down the balustrade.
- There’s another staircase that leads further down, and the exit takes you back to a side area in the Forlorn Coast.
- In the distance, you’ll see the lone tower. Note that you need to defeat a miniboss before you can freely explore the area.
Once the miniboss has been eliminated, you’ll see a wooden walkway along the cliffside. There’s a section with several corpses hanging below a bridge. One, in particular, seems to be wearing curious-looking gear. Shoot the rope to make the body fall so that you can pick up the Zealot Armor Set.
Wearing the full Zealot Armor Set, you’ll have the following stats and resistances:
- Armor: 90.4
- Weight: 37.6 (Light)
- Resistances: Bleed 5, Fire 4, Shock 7, Corrosive , Blight 9
That’s it—everything you need to know about the Ritualist class in the Remnant 2: The Awakened King DLC. Don’t forget that there are 10 unlockable archetypes hidden in the base game alone, so check out our guide if you need help unlocking ones you missed.
Remnant 2 is available on the Epic Games Store, and you can pick up The Awakened King DLC as a standalone purchase or as part of the Remnant 2: Ultimate Edition bundle.