The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a first-person mystery focused on exploration and discovery. As an occult-minded detective Paul Prospero, piece together the truth behind Ethan’s disappearance — and the fate of his family.
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
You play the game as Paul Prospero, an occult-minded detective who receives a disturbing letter from Ethan Carter. Realizing the boy is in grave danger, Paul arrives at Ethan’s home of Red Creek Valley, where things turn out to be even worse than he imagined. Ethan has vanished in the wake of a brutal murder, which Paul quickly discerns might not be the only local murder worth looking into.
Inspired by the weird fiction (and other tales of the macabre) from the early twentieth century, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter aims to significantly evolve immersive storytelling in games. While it features a private detective and quite a few mental challenges, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is not an especially puzzle-ridden game. Our focus is on atmosphere, mood, and the essential humanity of our characters.
Still, the discoveries won’t happen on their own, or without your help. Using both Paul’s supernatural skill of being able to communicate with the dead, and your own powers of observation, you will discover the mystery behind a trail of corpses, the roots of a dark ancient force lurking in Red Creek Valley, and the fate of a missing boy.
- Explore and interact with the beautiful yet ominous world of Red Creek Valley, created with the use of revolutionary photogrammetry technology.
- Communicate with the dead and see how they died in order to gather clues that help you piece together the truth.
- Experience, in non-linear fashion, a story that combines the pleasures of pulp, private eye, and horror fiction.
- Conduct the investigation on your own terms and at your own pace. The game contains no combat of any kind, and a few scary bits in the game are less about terror and more about clammy unease.
Epic Player Ratings
Captured from players in the Epic Games ecosystem.
- 72%Critics Recommend
- 80Top Critic Average
- StrongOpenCritic Rating
- See All Reviews
by Marty Sliva
8.5 / 10
“The Vanishing of Ethan Carter's story is powerful, and its world is one of the most beautiful I've ever played through.”
by Christopher Livingston
82 / 100
“A tense and spooky stroll through a gorgeous world, some fun supernatural detective work, and an efficient script with sparse dialogue.”
by Ben Reeves
8 / 10
“Freeform exploration can be tedious, but the tense moments will have your heart racing”
Reviews provided by OpenCritic
ProcessorIntel Core2 Duo or equivalent AMD
ProcessorIntel i5 or equivalent AMD
Memory6 GB RAM
Memory8 GB RAM
GraphicsDirectX11 compliant card with 1GB of VRAM
GraphicsDirectX11 compliant card with 4GB of VRAM
- AUDIO: English, Polish
- TEXT: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish - Spain, Polish
© 2014-2022 The Astronauts. All other brands, product names and logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.