What is Star Atlas?
Star Atlas is an upcoming open-world MMORPG based in the year 2620. In the distant future, three major factions have emerged: (1) the MUD Territory governed by humankind, (2) the ONI Region governed by a consortium of alien races, and (3) the Ustur Sector controlled by sentient androids. These factions are in an ongoing struggle for resources, territorial conquest, and political domination. You, a faction citizen of Star Atlas, will have the ability to influence the outcome of this intergalactic conflict while creating the opportunity to earn rewards for your contributions.
Main features of the game will include:
- AAA game-play and graphics powered by Unreal Engine 5
- 3 Factions fighting for economic, territorial and political domination
- A massive galactic game world to explore
- Land ownership and building
- Manufacturing of ships, modules and components
- Professions (mining, refining, pirating, freighting, hunting, repair, refueling, bounty-hunting, construction and more)
- Political game-play layer through a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO)
- True in-game asset ownership through blockchain technology
When will the full game be released?
Star Atlas is currently in development and will be released iteratively through game modules and seasons in both web and Unreal Engine 5 over the next 5-7 years. This allows the game to continuously expand while the community immerses themselves in the Star Atlas gaming and co-creation experience. The first of the Unreal Engine 5 game modules is Showroom.
Our approach is to build out a fully functional economy and game loops in a 3D web browser-based game which can now be experienced in a pre-alpha on-chain movement test module at https://sage.staratlas.com/. The browser-based game will be continuously expanding while the fully-immersive Unreal Engine 5 experience is built and perfected. Through the browser app, players will be able to experience Faction-based territorial conquest, combat, ship configuration, fleet management, mining, crafting and more.
Throughout development, these two pipelines will converge and players can experience Star Atlas through both with interoperability.
What's here and what’s coming in the near future?
What’s here today:
- Showroom Pre-Season (R2.1) — This pre-alpha release features multiplayer, Ground Racing single player mode, flying several fly-ready spaceships, dogfighting and racing tracks.
- Star Atlas: SAGE Escape Velocity - The first pre-alpha test of our browser based game provides the ability to test on-chain movement and gather valuable loot throughout the Galia Expanse.
- Star Atlas: CORE — An episodic graphic novel that follows a crew of heroic adventurers across the galaxy while immersing readers in the lore of Star Atlas.
- Foundation SDK (F-KIT) — An open source piece of software for developers looking to build on Solana; functions as an in-game bridge with an embedded wallet, connecting gameplay transactions in Unreal Engine 5 with the Solana network.
- Star Atlas DAO — A governance framework that allows players to stake their POLIS and participate in the governance of the game. Over time, the community will have an ever increasing role to play in governing the entire Star Atlas metaverse. Currently, players can stake ATLAS as well.
What’s coming in the near future:
- Star Atlas Golden Era (SAGE) — Further releases of the high-fidelity 3D web browser-based grand strategy game featuring some of the same game loops that will take place in later seasons of Star Atlas.
- Pre-Season R2.2 and R3 — Featuring multiplayer races, player progression, skin crafting, SAGE to UE5 tie-in and a companion app with crew training.
How can I learn more about Star Atlas?
- Join our discord community to interact with the Star Atlas team directly and our amazing community.
- Follow us for updates on Twitter, and connect on other channels: Instagram, Linkedin, Facebook, TikTok, Twitch
- Read our White paper and Economic paper to understand our vision and how the Star Atlas economy works.
- Go through our educational instagram content
- Learn more about the Star Atlas lore through our weekly lore (Roadmap scans)
- Read our newsletter every 3 weeks to get the latest news about Star Atlas
- Visit our Public Roadmap
- Read our economic quarterly reports (Q2)
I have an access code. How can I redeem my code for Showroom pre-alpha?
Once signed in to your Epic Game Store account, click on your NAME at the top right corner, and choose REDEEM. Enter the access key you got from play.staratlas.com under your profile. You will be able to download the client from your EGS library after entering your code.
How can I get an access code to Showroom pre-alpha?
Showroom pre-alpha now became more accessible! There are 2 methods by which you can get access:
Method A: Through playing our browser-based game (SAGE):
- If you don’t have a Solana wallet, go to play.starlatas.com to create a Solana wallet or get in touch with our community to help with the steps
- Buy ATLAS through Raydium or Jupiter
- Go to sage.staratlas.com
- Connect your wallet
- Spawn a fleet
- By spawning a fleet, you can now go to play.staratlas.com, access your player profile and click “Claim Game Codes”
Method B: Through Enlisting your Fleet to your faction:
- Go to our discord server to get in touch with our community and the Star Atlas team to help you with the steps.
- Go to play.starlatas.com to create a Solana wallet
- Choose your faction (MUD, Ustur, ONI)
- Buy your first spaceship on the marketplace
- Enlist your spaceship to your faction's fleet
- Your fleet as it remains functional (resourced) will become a "Seasoned fleet" after a week and you will automatically get a key added to your Star Atlas Profile on play.staratlas.com
How can I provide feedback on Showroom pre-alpha?
You can join our discord and navigate to the "Feedback and Bug Report" section to provide feedback on the Showroom pre-alpha experience.
How is blockchain, NFT, or cryptocurrency used in this product?
The Star Atlas economy is built on the state-of-the-art Solana blockchain. Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) obtained and traded within Star Atlas create an economy that replicates the tangibility of real world assets and ownership. With this technology, players have true ownership of their in-game assets such as spaceships, resources, land, buildings, data, in-game currency (ATLAS) and more. In the Star Atlas metaverse, players will grow their own in-game empires, battle in exciting, high-stakes combat, extract and trade valuable resources, and deploy their own player-made products and games through Star Atlas’ blockchain-based economy.
Another way the blockchain is utilized is through the Star Atlas Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) where players can participate in political gameplay by deploying POLIS tokens for voting power in the DAO and voting on proposals that affect all of Star Atlas. This will allow the community to decide the game’s direction, development and economy in the long term.
What utility does this bring to the product?
All assets in the Star Atlas metaverse are secured on the Solana blockchain’s public ledger. This means verifiable ownership and transaction history for all assets. This is what’s making these assets immutable, unique, interoperable, and tradable.
These are some of the main utility features that blockchain technology brings to Star Atlas:
- Customizable spaceships for different careers and play styles (modules, components, skins, color, etc.) - which makes each spaceship unique
- Ownership of (finite) land and structures for mining, crafting and territorial conquest
- Customizable characters and crew members
- Ownership of all assets can be transferred through the marketplace
- Deciding the direction of the game through the DAO
- Political gameplay and territorial conquest through Guilds / Decentralized Autonomous Corporations
Learn more about the details of the Star Atlas economy by reading our economics paper.
Does this product require me to connect an external wallet?
Although you need a Solana-based wallet to play, you do not need to connect an external wallet. In order to allow seamless play within our Showroom and all UE5 environments, Star Atlas developed a wallet which is integrated into the UE5 game client. This can be set up very easily in the game itself and the Showroom experience can be played without having to own any assets.
What wallets does this product support?
In addition to the native in-game Star Atlas wallet (which is used for our Showroom experience), the browser-based experiences support other commonly used and reputable Solana wallets:
- Ledger (hardware wallet)
- Coinbase wallet
If you are playing the Showroom pre-alpha experience, you can import your assets from most browser-based wallets. We recommend using a Phantom wallet.
Please do not try importing a hardware wallet directly into the in-game wallet within Showroom. Showroom does not yet support hardware wallet connections.
Can I use the product without interacting or engaging with blockchain, NFT, or cryptocurrency?
Yes, you are able to enter and play by creating a wallet and not interacting with the blockchain beyond the initial wallet setup. That said, to experience all that Star Atlas has to offer—from the Galactic Marketplace to the DAO—you will need to engage with NFTs and the blockchain. Star Atlas has a mission to embrace blockchain technology and give true ownership of assets to its players. Our goal is to make the onboarding of new players as easy as possible over time.
With our Showroom experience, you can set up an in-game wallet very quickly and begin playing. You can summon a demo spaceship as well without any need to do a transaction on the blockchain.
In case you want to dive deeper, you can set up a browser-based wallet to get your own spaceships on the Galactic Marketplace.
What chain does this product use? Is the chain proof-of-work or proof-of-stake?
Star Atlas utilizes the Solana blockchain for all in-game transactions. The move to create Star Atlas on the Solana blockchain was a decision to pursue efficiency and maintain an environmentally conscious focus. Solana’s censorship-resistant proof-of-history consensus mechanism means the security of the network does not depend on high energy usage (in contrast to proof-of-work blockchains). This allows Solana transactions to use less energy than two Google searches.
Does this product have a marketplace? What can I do with the things that I earn (or purchase)?
Yes, the Star Atlas Galactic Marketplace can be found at play.staratlas.com. Players can buy and sell their assets on the marketplace that they bought or earned in-game.
At this stage of development, you can earn ATLAS by enlisting your fleet to your faction’s fleet and summon your ships in our Showroom UE5 environment. A complementary, browser-based gameplay experience will be released at a later date where players will be able to manage their fleet, cargo, mining operations, and participate in combat and territorial conquest with their fleet.
Before you use the Galactic Marketplace or any other Star Atlas service, you will need to agree to and comply with the Terms of Service.